Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Circumcision

While my husband and I don't know the sex of our child (and we're not finding out until he or she is born) we are currently trying to decide whether or not, if our child is a boy, we want to circumcise him.

I know that there are a lot of very strong opinions on the subject, and I am trying to weigh the pros and cons. I think that my husband wants to have our son circumcised, and I am tempted to just defer to him for the decision because he has the equipment and I feel as though he would be best to make the decision. However, I still have my own reservations.

I mean, I know that there is a slightly lower chance of contracting and transmitting an STD for a man who is circumcised, and I also know that there is a slightly lower risk of contracting a urinary tract infection for men who are circumcised, but is that "slightly lower risk" worth putting my child through all that pain? I don't know.

Also...and this makes me feel very guilty, but I don't think I would be able to be in the room with him while the doctor performed the operation. I can imagine myself getting very upset at seeing my baby upset. My husband says that he would want to be in the room when it happened, which eases my mind a bit, but if I couldn't even be in the room with my baby while this happened, how can I make the decision to have this done to my baby?

I think I will probably go with whatever my husband chooses, but we'll see. I don't know if his mind is 100% made up right now.

1 comment: