Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy Canada Day

Thursday was July 1 and July 1 in Canada means Canada Day, which of course, means fireworks.

I love fireworks, but maybe more than the actual fireworks, I love going to the park and socializing with everyone there, seeing old friends, making new ones, and eating greasy chip truck food.

I was especially excited for this year because it would be Pierce's first fireworks. Although I was worried that he would be afraid of them and cry. We got to the park and met my parents there. We each had something different to eat. My Dad had peameal on a bun, my mom had a burger, Mr. B had a sausage and I went across the street to order myself some wings and fries. They were delicious. There was also a funnel cake vendor so Mr. B and I shared one. It was delicious as well, but the $10 price tag wasn't so easy to swallow.

A little after 8:00 Pierce started getting fussy (8 is his usual bedtime) so Mr. B put him in the mei tai and bounced him to sleep. This was at around 8:30 or 8:45, the fireworks were due to start at 10:00 and I was sure that they'd wake him up.

We socialized a bit more and then the fireworks started. Pierce slept through the first half, which was a total surprise and then a particularly loud firework went off and he woke up, but he wasn't scared. I asked Mr. B to take Pierce out of the mei tai so that I could sit him on my lap and we oohed and ahhed at the fireworks until they were over with just a few little whimpers, but mostly smiles.

Stupidly, we forgot to bring our camera, so I don't have any pictures of the experience, but here's a picture of Pierce wearing his festive Canada flag bib.

0 comments:

Post a Comment